January 28, 2010

Pumpkin Chili and Pumpkin Cornbread


I LOVE pumpkin. Like, really, really LOVE it! I've been hoarding the cans that I got late last year because all the stores around here are out! I got these recipes from my friend Kim (thanks Kim!!) and I'm so glad she shared them with me!! The pumpkin in the chili just made it rich and gave a depth of flavor - it didn't taste or look pumpkin-y. I left out the ground beef and added a can of drained and rinsed dark red kidney beans and black beans to give it some protein. I also used the full can of pumpkin (small can) and added more water. We always eat our chili over rice. Something I had never done until a chili cook-off at work. I added sour cream, shredded cheese, green onion and black olives on top.
The chili was good, but the Pumpkin Cornbread was AWESOME!!! It was more like pumpkin cake with cornmeal :) It was moist and sweet and slightly crunchy. I ate some of the pieces straight from the oven while still warm and some I spread on raw honey. Both were wonderful.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ha, I thought I was the only one that stocked up on pumpkin year round. So glad you liked the recipes. Do you have leftovers because it sure looks good and it is lunch time!

Amie said...

oh my I'm not sure we can be friends any more...(I HATE pumpkin!!) but these do look good! :)

mommy to six J's said...

looks yummy I love th epicture outside in the snow...

Anonymous said...

lovely, i just brought tons of fresh emo backgrounds to my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info